What is the Sacrament of Marriage?
“Sacred Scripture begins with the creation and union of man and woman and ends with ‘the wedding feast of the Lamb’ (Rev 19:7, 9). Scripture often refers to marriage, its origin and purpose, the meaning God gave to it, and its renewal in the covenant made by Jesus with his Church/ Man and woman were created for each other.
By their marriage, the couple witnesses Christ’s spousal love for the Church. One of the Nuptial Blessings in the liturgical celebration of marriage refers to this in saying, ‘Father, you have made the union of man and wife so holy a mystery that it symbolizes the marriage of Christ and his Church.’
The Sacrament of Marriage is a covenant, which is more than a contract. Covenant always expresses a relationship between persons. The marriage covenant refers to the relationship between the husband and wife, a permanent union of persons capable of knowing and loving each other and God. The celebration of marriage is also a liturgical act, appropriately held in a public liturgy at church. Catholics are urged to celebrate their marriage within the Eucharistic Liturgy.” (USCCB)
Marriage at the St. Jude Catholic Community
Through the Sacrament of Marriage, one man and one woman consecrate themselves to each other and to God as husband and wife. St. Jude welcomes all requests to celebrate this special occasion. Couples wishing to be married at St. Jude are expected to meet several criteria:
- The couple will contact the parish office to arrange the marriage ceremony date. *Only one wedding will be celebrated on any Saturday.
- The couple is to make this arrangement at least 6 months in advance.
- The couple will be asked to fill out an “Application for Marriage at St. Jude.”
- Then the couple will be contacted by either Fr. Ayub Francis, Deacon Larry, or Deacon Dan Esch.
- They will meet with the celebrant to fill out the necessary paperwork, go over the guidelines for a wedding at St. Jude, and prepare for the ceremony.
- The couple will be required to complete a Pre-Cana retreat, Engaged Encounter, or an equivalent program.
- The couple will be required to take a Premarital Inventory Test. The celebrant will go over the results with the couple once they are returned.
- Music for the ceremony will be arranged through the Choir Director, MaryAlice Clor-Miller.
Please contact the Parish Office (616-363-6885) with any questions or requests.